Creating a Publication
- Head to the Publications section in the main menu on the left-hand side. Here you’ll find any existing publications and a big link to ‘+ Create publication’. Hit that and choose which publication style you’d like to create.
- Depending on which plan your Hail organisation is on and if you've completed referrals you’ll have access to 1–5 different styles: Newsletter, Magazine, Blog, Gazette and Folio.
Ideal for weekly, monthly and other short-term periodicals, the ‘Newsletter’ is perfect for scannable content with prominent notices.
With a focus on large, engaging photography, the ‘Magazine’ is ideal for creating an impression with brochure-like communications.
The ‘Blog’ style has strong branding with a traditional layout focusing on featured and latest articles, alongside search and tag features.
Don't let the ‘Gazette's’ newspaper-like layout fool you — it's just as slick as the Newsletter with extra features such as Google Calendar integration.
With it's rich, tag-based design, the ‘Folio’ handles hundreds of articles for easy browsing of yearbooks, info packs, periodicals and other large publications.
- Select the format you want, give it a due date and Create it!
- You’ll find yourself on a blank unpublished publication and all you need to do is start filling it in. We’ll start from the top and work our way down.
- Title — Click into this section and start typing to give your publication a name, for example ‘Newsletter #1 July 2019 and click Save.
- Feature article — Click here to open the article browser and select an article as your publication’s featured article. This will be used as its focus at the top of the newsletter/blog or for the magazine/folio cover, depending on the chosen publication style.
- Editorial/Notices — Click into this section and start typing to add an Editorial and/or Notices to your publication. You can format the text with bold, italics, links, headers, quotes and lists by simply highlighting the text you wish to format and clicking on the green buttons that appear. Be sure to Save.
- + Add article(s) — Click here to open the article browser and select multiple articles to add to the publication. Once added you can order them by simply dragging and dropping them in place.
- Done! You have now completed your first newsletter and are able to check it out in all its glory by clicking on the Preview Newsletter link at the top of the sidebar. You can also click on Swap style to change the publication on the fly and see how it looks in other available styles.
- When you’re happy with it, as with articles, you simply Publish It! and then share to the world.
Note: Only Hail Owners and Curators can create and edit publications.